The AppSecUSA team is looking forward to our 2015 event in San Francisco, CA on September 22-25th. I will be hosting a series of Chapter Leader Workshops (details below) and encourage you to participate whether you are a chapter leader or interested in becoming more involved in your chapter. Project leaders may find the sessions on staff support and financing to be of interest, so please plan on attending.
I welcome feedback on this newsflash from the full spectrum of our community: chapters, projects, and initiatives. Many of the same issues that affect chapters, including funding, volunteer engagement and events, also affect projects and other activities. Be sure to read the news flash for tips and ideas for project teams.
In this Issue:
- FEATURE: The Chapter Leaders Workshop at AppSecUSA
- Back to School: Connect With Student Chapters!
- Chapter Activity: New Chapters, Leader Transitions
- New Tools: Trello
The Chapter Leader Workshops at AppSecUSA are designed for OWASP members currently leading or interested in starting a chapter in their local area. We are hosting four separate sessions plus afternoon Birds of a Feather flex sessions on Thursday AM and Friday all day in Room F on the Pacific Concourse level. We invite participation from all conference attendees whether they are a chapter leader, project leader or volunteers. If you are interested in how to plan and run OWASP activities at any level, you will enjoy these sessions
We'll be there to learn from each other how to run chapter activities, what types of events to host and how to promote them, outreach with education and other organizations, as well as where to access funding and how to spend it. The session descriptions are starting points for discussion, but the discussion is yours.
Click on the session title below for a full description of each workshop session:
For more information about the Chapter Leaders Workshop, or to suggest content to cover or issues of concern to you, please contact me.
BACK TO SCHOOL: CONNECT WITH STUDENT CHAPTERS!
It's the time of year again for many schools and universities to welcome students back to campus. This is a great time to connect with your local student chapters and educational institutions. To find out if there is a student chapter near you, visit the Student Chapter Program page on the wiki. If you don't have a student chapter in your area, you can help create one by reaching out to educational programs near you.
The Academic Supporter program also allows educators to participate in AppSec activities and offers a number of benefits including recognition of the institution on our website and at events, in exchange for providing space for chapter meetings and sharing OWASP educational materials and project opportunities with students. Leaders can work with faculty to help integrate Web Application Security into the curriculum, and can form teams to participate on university challenges at regional AppSec events and our seasonal project code sprints, as well as opportunities for mentoring and other interaction with professional chapters.
As a result of recent audit of chapter activity, several chapters have been marked inactive due to either nonresponse from the current leadership team or lack of any meetings in the past year. If you are interested in starting or helping to restart a chapter that has gone inactive, please review the listings at the Volunteer Opportunities page of the wiki. If you are a current chapter leader and are having difficulty finding space, volunteers or funding to host a meeting, let me know. I can direct you to resources and funding to help you.
Also keep in mind you can view your Chapter's budget and available funds at the Donation Scoreboard:
- Bulawayo, Zimbabwe: Trevor Sibanda leader, email@example.com
- Kern County, California: John Stampfli leader, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cyprus: New leaders, Christos Papadopoulos, email@example.com and Yiannis Ioannides,firstname.lastname@example.org
- Manila: Jan Jancosin (email@example.com) added to leadership team
- Orange County: New leader, Haral Tsitsivas, firstname.lastname@example.org
- University Lucian Blaga of Sitiu, Romania, leader Pitis Daniel. owasp.org
The OWASP Foundation has obtained a free premium Trello account for our community.
What is Trello?
Getting Started Guide
Here you could see how easy it is to get up and running with Trello https://trello.com/guide
What are the benefits of using Trello in my OWASP project/chapter?
- You could create a board for your chapter to help you organise all the logistics of your next event.
- You could create a GTD (Get Things Done) board for your project and allocate tasks to volunteers:http://justincone.com/4-tips-for-working-with-trello/
- You can invite as many people to your board as you need, all for free. Drag and drop people to cards to divvy up tasks. Everyone sees the same board and the whole picture all at once.
- You could integrate your Slack Channel with your OWASP Trello Board so any new task/card being created/actioned in Trello is shown in Slack.
We are creating boards for some projects and chapters alreadyâ€¦ if interested in having your own board, please ping Fabio Cerullo at email@example.com.
Need some inspiration to create your Board?
Here are a couple of Board templates:
EVENTS: The Women in AppSec Program at AppSecUSA
The Women in AppSec (WIA) program is for all OWASP members who believe that diversity is important to the success of an organization, as well as for women who want to make career connections with like-minded colleagues. We encourage you to attend our session on Thursday at 3:30pm in Room F, featuring the founders of InfoSec Girls, Apoorva Giri and Shruthi Kamath, moderated by Astha Singhal.
We also invite you to join us for our networking and "Birds of a Feather" sessions on Thursday in the WIA meeting room . Stop by anytime between 10:00am and 3:30pm to meet other members, learn more about the WIA program, and discuss relevant topics. Suggest a discussion topic on the sign-up board at the room entrance!
Other local and regional events brought to you by OWASP Chapters:
- OWASP EEE, Oct. 4-10, 2015, Bucharest, Romania (Participating chapters: Austria, Armenia, Poland, Romania, Hungary, Lithuania, Russia)
- AppSec IL 2015, Oct. 13, 2015, Israel
- New York Metro Joint Cyber-Security Conference 2015, Oct. 14, 2015, New York, NY, USA
- LASCON 2015, Oct. 19-22, 2015, Austin, TX, USA
- AppSec Rio de la Plata 2015, Nov. 17-20, 2015, Montevideo, Uruguay
- OWASP Ghana CyberSecurity, Nov. 10-11, 2015, Accra, Ghana
- Devoxx Morocco Nov. 16-18, 2015, Casablanca, Morocco (OWASP Morocco is curating the "Arch. & Security" track)
Trello Main Board:
Women in AppSec Panel at AppSecUSA:
Chapter Leader Handbook:
Donation Scoreboard - Current Chapter Funding Allocation:
Feel free to contact me at any time if you have a question or suggestion. To create a trackable case, please use the contact us form at http://www.tfaforms.com/308703.
Community Manager Open Hours on Slack:
Join the #AsktheCM channel Tuesdays from 10am-Noon EDT.