Here are the top 10 reasons why this is so fitting:
1. Austin is transforming, and OWASP aligns perfectly with all that is Austin because it is the preeminent GLOBAL, OPEN, FREE, CHARITABLE 501(c)(3) security organization.
2. Austin is a hotbed of cybersecurity cogniscenti and activity: evidenced by startups like Click Security, recently acquired Anue Systems and BreakingPoint Systems, IBM, Dell (acquired Secureworks), etc.
3. Cyber Warfare and Cyber Crime stories hit the headlines at an increasing rate; OWASP is the trusted source for the US National Cyber Security Division and organizations around the world see this impressive list:
4. October is National Cyber Security, US Department of Homeland Security story: http://www.dhs.gov/national-cyber-security-awareness-month!!!
5. Austin's OWASP chapter is one of over 190 chapters worldwide, it is a thriving locus of the "brain trust" for sharing ideas and learning how to make software security VISIBLE so individuals and organizations can make informed decisions about true software security risks.
6. There are many security organizations, OWASP is where the best and brightest converge. OWASP does not endorse or recommend commercial products or services, allowing our community to remain vendor neutral with the collective wisdom of the best minds in software security worldwide. It's hard not to attend an information security conference where a presenter does not quote the "OWASP Top 10."
7. AppSec USA 2012 will have sessions custom-tailored for everyone from the CISO to the newbie software developer, including college students.
8. Austin creates a sense of community, OWASP creates and nurtures community, open sharing, and the promotion of FREE educational materials.
9. Austin is weird, and yes, OWASPers can be a little weird.
10. AppSec USA is coming to Austin, this is yet another proof point that Austin's role as "THE place to be" is truly multi-dimensional.
As more background, this video is an example of education for software developers: OWASP Appsec Tutorial Series - Episode 2: SQL Injection
For more information, click here: www.owasp.org, www.appsecusa.org