- FEATURE: New Funding Rules and What They Mean For Chapters and Projects
- ELECTION: Election Results: 2016 Global Board of Directors!
- PROJECT UPDATES: Call for Project Reviewers
- CHAPTER ACTIVITY: New Chapters, Leader Transitions
- EVENTS: Upcoming Local and Regional Events
- RESOURCES: List of Resources in this Issue
- Chapters and projects with more than a $5000 allocation as of October 1 are required to submit a budget for 2016 by December 1, 2015 (November 1 beginning in 2016 and thereafter). Affected leaders have already been notified.
- All chapter accounts with less than $500 will be brought to $500 on Jan 1 as long as they have two active leaders.
- Similarly, a $500 starting budget will be applied for projects newly reaching Lab Status. Projects newly reaching Flagship Status with an account balance less than $1000 will be brought to $1000. Both Lab and Flagship status projects will need to have at least two active leaders at that time.
We will review the original purpose & objective, then I'll talk about the tools & Timeline. I'm happy to take any and all questions.
Please join my Go-To-Meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone. https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/529205341 -- Thursday, Nov. 19 08:00 Pacific / 11:00 EST / 16:00 GMT / 17:00 CET -- Monday, Nov. 23 09:00 Pacific / 12:00 EST / 17:00 GMT / 18:00 CET -- Tuesday, Nov. 23 07:00 EST / Noon GMT / 21:00 JST / 17:30 IST You can also dial in using your phone. United States +1 (224) 501-3412 Access Code: 529-205-341
Please RSVP for the meeting that works best for your timezone.
See the results of several board proposals affecting funding for 2016: https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Board_Votes#Voting_Records
You may check your account balance and funding history here:
You may view the complete 2015 Global Board Election Results on the OWASP wiki.
The following are the OWASP Tool and Code Projects that require your expertise volunteer time:
Three OWASP Tool Projects for Graduation Review
One OWASP Code Project for Graduation Review
Please click on the links below if you are interested in adding your name to our list of reviewers.
Volunteer participation from the OWASP Community is critical to the growth and development of OWASP Projects since it provides an effective way to for project leaders to have their projects tested and validated based on the extensive professional advice and support of the OWASP community.
We have the following incentives for your help in kick starting our Project Review Call Out for Volunteers:
Amazon Gift Cards:
$5 for Any Incubator New Project
$15 for one Tool, Code, or Documentation Project Review
$30 for two Tool, Code, or Documentation Project Review
$40 for three Tool, Code or Documentation Project Review
$50 for four Tool, Code or Documentation Project Review
$60 for five Tool, Code or Documentation Project Review
Subscribe to our Project Task Force Google list.
Thank you in advance for your efforts and time.
Project Task Force
OWASP PodCasts created by Mark Miller offer a great forum for getting an update on projects. Listen to interviews with project leaders at https://soundcloud.com/owasp-podcast.
- Indore, India: Rani Jha email@example.com Gagan Shrivastavagagan.firstname.lastname@example.org, leaders
- Albany, NY, USA: Steve Thomas email@example.com is the new leader. Many thanks to Susanna Bresold who is stepping down.
- Maine, USA: Casey Dunham leader, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Milwaukee, MN, USA: Doug Rogahn email@example.com, Zach Grace firstname.lastname@example.org, and Ryan Kane email@example.com leaders
- Qatar: Mohamed Hassan Mohamed.firstname.lastname@example.org and Mostafa Siraj email@example.com
- Nigeria: New leaders in Lagos, Nigeria - Damilare Fagbeni firstname.lastname@example.org, Ayodeji Okikiolu email@example.com, and Olufuwa Tayo firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kharkiv National University of Radio Electronics: Faculty Member, Arkadii Snigurov email@example.com
Learn more about our Academic Supporter program
The new Taguig has hit the ground running, having already concluded five-day Microsoft System Administration training conducted at Fort Bonifacio, Taguig City. The attendees were from Philippine Institute of Cyber Security Professionals, OWASP Manila and Cagayan Valley, TCON and Philippine Army personnel. OWASP Taguig Chapter organized the event for the members of the community.
OWASP Qatar's first meeting will be November 23 from 9am-1pm at the InterContinental Doha. Visit their wiki page for details.
If you are interested in starting or helping to restart a chapter that has gone inactive, please review the listings at the Volunteer Opportunities page of the wiki. If you are a current chapter leader and are having difficulty finding space, volunteers or funding to host a meeting, let me know. I can direct you to resources and funding to help you.
Also keep in mind you can view your Chapter's budget and available funds at the Donation Scoreboard:
OWASP AppSecEU 2016 in Rome: talks, trainings and sponsorships opportunities
We are beginning to contact all the possible speakers, trainers and sponsors for the next OWASP AppSecEU that will be held in Rome from 27th June to 1st July 2016. More than 800 attendees are expected at the event with 3 days of training followed by the 2-day conference that includes:
- Five-talks in parallel with a focus on the core mission OWASP (Dev Ops Hack, CISO and Research);
- Key notes of security experts;
- Exhibition spaces that offer innovative solutions to the new needs of the companies.
Call for Training:
Call for Presentation:
Regarding sponsorship, please let us know if you are interested in one of the options because we have already received several requests and we would like to sign all the contracts as soon as possible (within 31 Dec. 2015).
More Upcoming Events
- German OWASP Day, December 1, 2015 - December 3, 2015, Frankfurt, Germany
- AppSec Rio de la Plata 2015, NEW DATE: Dec. 2-3, 2015, Montevideo, Uruguay
- OWASP Gothenburg Day, December 8, 2015, Gothenburg, Sweden
- AppSec Cali 2016, January 25, 2016 - January 27, 2016, Santa Monica, CA
- New Zealand Day 2016, February 3, 2016 - February 4, 2016, Auckland, New Zealand
- CyberSecurity 2016, May 16, 2016 - May 20, 2016 New York, NY, USA
2015 Global Board of Directors Election
OWASP Tool Projects:
OWASP Code Project(s):
Chapter Leader Handbook:
Donation Scoreboard - Current Chapter and Project Funding Allocations:
Feel free to contact me at any time if you have a question or suggestion. To create a trackable case, please use the contact us form at http://www.tfaforms.com/308703.
Community Manager Open Hours on Slack:
Join the #AsktheCM channel Tuesdays from 10am-Noon EDT.
CORRECTION: Deadline for 2016 budgets for chapters with more than $5,000 in their account was originally listed as November 1, 2015. Given the delay of the announcement, the deadline has been extended to December 1, 2015 for the 2016 budget. Subsequent years will have a November 1 deadline.